The moive ‘Joker’ has received 11 nominations for the British film awards known as the Baftas, including best actor for Joaquin Phoenix. Learn news vocabulary with this free English lesson from BBC Learning English.
Joker’s bleak depiction of the comic book character was one of last year’s most controversial releases, but the film resonated with audiences – taking more than a billion dollars at the box office and it now leads the way at the Baftas with 11 nominations including best film and best actor for Joaquin Phoenix.
Key words and phrases:
person expected to win the competition
• The Jamaican sprinter is the frontrunner at this year’s event.
• The political party has gone from last place to frontrunner.
in the spotlight
receiving a lot of attention
• The announcement of their wedding put the celebrities in the spotlight.
• The CEO is now under the spotlight as the fraud investigation continues.
leads (the) pack
is better or more successful than competitors
• In terms of hitting sales targets, she’s leading the pack.
• With this new computer system, we’ll lead the pack in data security.
For a quiz and to download the audio go to:
For more English videos and English lessons to help you learn English: www.bbclearningenglish.com
We like receiving and reading your comments – please use English when you comment.